RABE Christiaan, born Leipzig
CHRISTIAAN RABE was born in Leijpzig, and died in the Stellenbosch district circa August 1733.
When he applied for his discharge from VOC service (burger papers) In 1724 or 1725 he stated that he had arrived at the Cape in 1722 aboard the Borsselen, as a soldier in the employ of the VOC and that he was a miller by trade. (HCV Leibbrandt, Requesten, page 948)
He married MARGARETA PYL at Drakenstein 20 July 1727. She was the daughter of BASTIAAN PYL and Susanna PUTTER and was christened at Stellenbosch on 17 August 1710. After Christiaan Rabe’s death she married firstly Jan Swanepoel at Cape Town 1 December 1737, and later Johannes Grobbelaar at Drakenstein 16 October 1740.
Children of Christiaan RABE and Margareta PYL:
b1. Maria Magdalena RABE, christened 3 August 1727 at Drakenstein
b2. Susanna Catharina RABE christened 12 December 1728 at Drakenstein and
died in 1766 in Swellendam, Overberg District.
She married Jacobus Swanepoel in Tulbagh 9 October 1748.
b3. Christiaan RABE christened 2 July 1730 at Drakenstein.
He married Geertruij Grobbelaar on 3 December 1752 at Drakenstein.
(Christiaan Rave van Cabo de Goede Hoop, Burger aan Swellendam, J.M. en
Geertruij Grobbelaar van Cabo de Goede Hoop – Cape Archives VC 654 p 35.)
b4. Jan Bastiaan RABE born circa June 1733 and died circa November 1763.
He married Zacharia Geertruy Gildenhuysen at Stellenbosch on 1 November 1761.
The marriage record states he was a burger of Swellendam.
1. Church Registers - Drakenstein Congregation, Den 20 Julij 1727, Christian Rave van Leijpzig Borger aan Drakensteijn met Margaretha Peijl van Cabo de Goede Hoop.
2. Inventory - Rabe, Christiaan - 1733, (page 374), Inventaris en taxatie van den Landbouwer Christiaan Rabe ... ter voordeelen van zijn nagelatene vrouw Margareta Pyl ter eenre en 4 minderjarige kinderen met name Maria Magdalena oud 6 jaaren, Susanna Catharina oud 5 jaaren, Christiaan oud 3 jaaren, en Jan Bastiaan Rabe oud 3 maanden ...
3. HCV Leibbrandt, Requesten, page 948 - 1724-1725, RAAVEN, Christiaan; of Leypzigh; arrived in 1722, as soldier, in the Borsselen. A miller by trade. Asks for burgher papers (no. 66)
3. Nederduits Gereformeerde Gemeente (NGK), Stellenbosch, Baptism register, 1688-1732, page 60. Repository: NG Kerkargief, Noordwal-Wes, Stellenbosch, G2 4/1. Transcribed by Ockert Malan, Lorna Newcomb and others. See also Die Stellenbosse Heemkring. From the eGGSA web site.
4. Nederduits Gereformeerde Gemeente (NGK), Tulbagh, marriage register, 1744-1839, page 2, entry no 4. Repository: NG Kerkargief, Noordwal-Wes, Stellenbosch, G4 9/1. Transcribed by Trysie Joubert, Marelize Keyter, Marie Greyvenstein and Annatje Erasmus as part of the eGGSA Project, from VC 664, Cape Archives Repository
5. Cape Archives MOOC 1/5 Minutes of the Weeskamer, pages 21 to 27. On the 7th May 1727 the widow Hans Keun petitioned the Masters of the Weeskamer stating that her daughter, Margareta Peijl, was promised marriage by the miller at Drakenstein, Christiaan Rabe but that now that she had become pregnant by him, he was no longer willing to marry her, denying that he was responsible. She asked for the assistance of the Weeskamer in making him fulfil his promise.
At the next meeting, 21st May 1727, Christiaan Rabe and Margareta Peijl appeared before the Masters of the Weeskamer. He flatly denied responsibility for her pregnancy: she declared that she was willing to swear under oath that he and no one else was responsible for her pregnancy. He then agreed to marry her and accept the child as his own.
6. Nationaal Archief - VOC - Opvarenden / Voyagers
Gegevens van Christiaen Rabe uit Saxen
|Datum indiensttreding:||06-06-1723||Datum uit dienst:|
|Functie bij indiensttreding:||Soldaat||Reden uit dienst:||Vrijburger|
|Uitgevaren met het schip:||Borssele||Waar uit dienst:|
|Gegevens van de vaart|
|DAS- en reisnr.:||2551.3||Ceylon|
©2008 Nationaal Archief
Website Nationaal Archief VOC - Opvarenden