REDELINGHUYS Johannes Hermanus
Johannes Hermanus REDELINGHUYS
(In the death notice of his son Jacobus, he is called Johann)
The Cape Town marriage register records him to be "van den Ham" and his joint will with his wife, dated 1764, declares him to be from "Ham in "t Brandenburgsche geleegen". Both these sources normally record birth places.
He is said to have arrived at the Cape on 2nd September 1742 on the ship Beukerhuijsen and to have been employed by the Dutch East India Company as a game-hunter between 1747 and 1749. In the latter year he became a freeburger and was also employed as messenger of the Orphan Chamber and he was still so employed when he made his will in 1764. He died before 6th September 1794 when his will was exhibited
at the Orphan Chamber.
He married Johanna Hermina DE VRIES, daughter of Izaak de Vries and his wife Susanna Bosman, in Cape Town on 19th October 1755 and the
couple had the following children:
1. Johannes Hendricus Redelinghuys =25 July 1756 +August 1802 in The Hague x 9 July 1780 Maria Elisabeth de Villiers (*1762 +1793 in Amsterdam)
xx Netherlands 23 November 1794 Maria Marosee (+1827 in Paarl).
2. Susanna Redelinghuys *16 October 1759 +20 May 1830 x Evert Heugh (+before 1803)
3. Johannes Hermanus Redelinghuys =29 August 1762 x 18 March 1787 Cornelia Linde.
4. Izaak Redelinghuys =12 August 1764. Not mentioned in his mother"s will of 1803 presumably died before that date without leaving children.
5. Maria Elisabeth Redelinghuys =15 December 1765 x Petrus Retief 27 April 1783 (*1751 +4 February 1813 in Paarl).
6. Petrus Johannes Redelinghuys =1 November 1767 He presumably died before 1772 when another child was given the same name.
7. Frederik Redelinghuys =17 September 1769 Not mentioned in his mother"s will of 1803 presumably died without children before 1803.
8. Jacobus Redelinghuys *Cape Town =12 February 1770 +13 December 1834 Riebeeck Kasteel x Paarl 25 April 1792 Debora Helena Roodewald(*February 1769 in Wagenmakersvalley +9 December 1846 in Riebeeck Kasteel).
9. Petrus Johannes Redelinghuys =13 September 1772 +18 June 1848 in Cape Town x 2 July 1796 Susanna Margaretha Wessels.
10. Johanna Hermina Redelinghuys *16 January 1774 +23 May 1855 in Paarl x Paarl 2 May 1813 Andries Marthinus Goetz (+before 1855).
1. Marriage Register, Cape Town Archives of the Nederduitse Gerevormeerde Kerk, Cape Town
2. Will of JH Redelinghuys and JH de Vries, 1764. Cape Archives, CJ 2619/37 and MOOC 7/1/39-42.
3. Personalia of the Germans at the Cape 1652 - 1806, by J. Hoge, published 1946 by the Government Printer.
4. Adriaan Redelinghuys of Klerksdorp
5. Geslagsregister van ou Kaapse Families (A.A. Balkema, Cape Town, 1966).
6. Dictionary of South African Biography, page 491.
Thanks to research by:
Thanks to submissions by: