Anthonie BERRANGé was born in the Netherlands. He came on the ship Overschie (ship captain Leendert de BRUIN) from Goeree, the Netherlands. This ship departed on 7 January 1749 on its way to Batavia and Anthonie got off in Cape Town on 7 September 1749. Anthonie was from French decent and the only son of Anthonie BERRANGé and Maria FABRIJ. The surname BERRANGé means “like a bear” in French. He married Adriana PEL. He was a sick-comforter. He died 6 April 1767.
They had one child Anthonie BERRANGé. He was a merchant.
He married Elizabeth FLECK (daughter of Johann Christoffel FLECK and Maria HEUFKE) on 12 Jan 1764.
They had 10 children:
1. Adriana – born 1765
2. Maria Magdalena; born 1 June 1766; died 23 July 1851; married Izak von BIEHL
3. Adriana; born 25 December 1767; died 25 May 1834; married Carl Willem DIELMAN on 4 August 1801
4. Johannes Christoffel; born 13 August 1769; died 11 March 1827; married Hester Alida Elizabeth van BOCKOM. He was a Reverend , who studied in Europe
5. Elizabeth Hester; born 30 June 1771
6. Anthony; born 18 April 1773; died 18 January 1840. Never married. He practised as a medical doctor
7. Daniel Frederik; born 30 September 1765; died 29 June 1845; married Magdalena Elizabeth SERRURIER. He held a PhD in Law and practised as an Advocate. The couple stayed in Swellendam.
8. Jacob; born 18 May 1777
9. Susanna Maria; born 11 June 1780; married Michael MOLLER on 27 July 1798
10. Jan Hendrick; born 2 September 1781; married Johanna Yda van der SPUY
1. De VOC site http://www.vocsite.nl
2. Research done by Dr R M Pelteret (2003) http://www.pelteret.co.za
3. Geslacht Register der Oude Kaapsche familien Part 1 A to J by CC de Villiers published by van der Sandt de Villiers &co Beperkt